SULPHUR RIVER BASIN AUTHORITY BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2015

PRESENT: Michael Russell, President

Borden Bell, Jr., Vice President

Kirby Hollingsworth

Pat Wommack

Brad Drake

Wally Kraft

STAFF: Nancy Rose, Secretary/Treasurer

John Jarvis, Consultant

Kirk Patton, Attorney

ABSENT: David Neeley

VISTORS: See Attachment

ITEM# 1: MEETING CALLED TO ORDER AT 1:00 P.M.:

Michael Russell, President called the meeting to order at 1:00 P.M.

He welcomed and thanked everyone in attendance.

ITEM# 2: INVOCATION:

Invocation was given by Kirby Hollingsworth.

ITEM# 3: DISCUSS AND TAKE ACTION ON THE APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES FOR

AUGUST 18th, 2015:

Michael Russell, President stated that each one has a copy of the Minutes for

August 18, 2015. He asked if there were any comments or correction.

Borden Bell, Jr., Vice President stated that he did not attend the August 15, 2015

Board Meeting. But, there was a Letter written to the Texas Water Development

Board (TWDB) for SRBA to be listed as a “Wholesale Water Provider”, but was not

listed as one of the Agenda Items for the August 18, 2015 Meeting.

He stated that he did not have any problems with the way the Minutes were

written. He stated that he wanted to add an ”Amendment” to the “Minutes” that

a copy of the letter dated September 01, 2015 written to Texas Water

Development Board be attached to the said, “Minutes” of August 18, 2015.

A motion was made by Kirby Hollingsworth and seconded by Wally Kraft to

approve the Minutes as written with the “Amendment” to attach the “Letter”

written to the Texas Water Development Board on September 01, 2015 to the

Minutes of August 18, 2015.

The motion carried with all members present voting AYE.

ITEM# 4: DISCUSS AND TAKE ACTION ON THE APPROVAL OF THE CASH POSITION

REPORT:

Nancy Rose stated that the General Ledger was for the fiscal year ending

August 31, 2015.

Michael Russell, President stated that we had $150,712.82 in the Checking

Account as of August 31st, 2015 and $200,000.00 in Certificates of Deposit

making a total of $350,712.82.

A motion was made by Brad Drake and seconded by Borden Bell, Jr., Vice

President to approve the Cash Position Report as presented.

The motion carried with all members present voting AYE.

ITEM# 5: UPDATES ON THE CLEAN RIVERS PROGRAM:

Nancy Rose stated that the new Contract for FY2015‐2017 with TCEQ and the

“Interlocal Agreement” with Texarkana College have all been signed and

delivered.

She stated that she was working on the final Purchase Voucher for the previous

contract.

Dr. Mike Buttram stated that the “Quality Assurance Project Plan” (QAPP) has

been completed. He stated that North Texas Municipal Water District was doing

the water monitoring on the “Jim Chapman Lake” and their information goes into

SRBA’s QAPP.

ITEM# 6: DISCUSS AND TAKE ACTION CONCERNING RELEASE TO THIRD PARITES

OF REPORTS RECEIVED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF SRBA:

Michael Russell, President stated that all the Board of Directors have received an

E‐Mail from Walt Sears regarding information on the “Timberland and Agricultural

Land Impact Assessment” report was given to Region C and not to Region D in

regards to the Region C & D conflict report.

He stated that SRBA has not released the study. He stated that he nor any of the

SRBA Board of Directors has received a copy of the “Timberland and Agricultural

Land Impact Assessment” Report.

He stated that he had asked Kirk Patton, Attorney to prepare a “Resolution” in

regards to releasing reports to the third parties.

Michael Russell, President and the SRBA Board of Directors discussed the

“Resolution” and it was decided that the “Resolution” would not stop or prevent

anyone from releasing any reports.

It was decided that an agenda item be put on next month’s, “Agenda” for the

SRBA Board of Directors to discuss and appoint a committee from the Board of

Directors to see what was the best procedure for placing “Studies” on the SRBA

Web Page.

Wayne Owens, Water Planning Director of Tarrant Regional Water District spoke

to the SRBA Board of Directors and stated that he felt responsible for the report

being on the Region C report and told the Board that he was very disappointed

that it happened.

Becky Griffith, Freese and Nichols stated that Freese & Nichols was responsible

for the report being released. She stated that she was asked if it could be used in

the Region C report and she told the person it would have to be approved by John

Jarvis. She stated that she E‐Mailed John Jarvis and he said, “No”; but, the other

person hit send before she got back with her.

So, the report was released without any authorization from the SRBA Board of

Directors knowledge. The SRBA Office or SRBA Board of Directors does not have a

copy of the Report, “Timberland and Agricultural Land Impact Assessment”, Draft

or Final Draft copy or any such reports.

ITEM# 7: DISCUSS LETTER DATED SEPTEMBER 01, 2015 FROM SULPHUR RIVER

BASIN AUTHORITY TO OFFICE OF GENERAL COUNSEL OF TEXAS WATER

DEVELOPMENT BOARD CONCERNING POTENTIAL INTEREGIONAL CONFLICT

BETWEEN REGIONAL WATER PLANS FOR REGION C & D:

There were discussions on the “Letter” and some Board of Directors stated that

any “Letter” of this importance should be discussed and approved by the Board of

Directors.

It was decided to put this item on next month’s, “Agenda” to discuss how the

Board of Directors want to handle this matter in the future.

John Jarvis spoke of the Letter and why it was written.

John Jarvis stated that (SRBA) has worked hard to study the entire basin to

understand the problems and plan for development that will benefit the basin

and others. The water supply strategies being studied by SRBA should remain in

the state water plan. If any strategy was removed it would impact the Feasibility

Study.

SRBA’s current contract indicates that SRBA expects to be a Wholesale Water

Provider (WWP). Being designated as a WWP would improve communication

between SRBA and Region D concerning data. The letter was not intended to

make anyone think SRBA was applying for water rights.

ITEM# 8: UPDATES ON THE FEASIBILITY STUDY:

John Jarvis gave an update on the Feasibility Study.

He stated the first decisional milestone during the feasibility study is the

“Alternatives Milestone” where the Vertical Team agrees on the proposed way

forward on continuing analysis and evaluation on a focused array of alternatives.

Because the Project Development Team has focused its activities to use available

and targeted data to reduce the risk associated with a poor planning decision, this

should be achievable within the first three months of the study.

He stated the second decisional milestone during the feasibility study is the

Tentatively Selected Plan Milestone where the Vertical Team agrees on the

Project Development Team recommendation of a tentatively selected plan and

proposed way forward on developing sufficient cost and design information for

the final feasibility study report. Because the Project Development Team is writing

the feasibility study report as it goes and is targeting a 100 page study report, by

this milestone a draft feasibility study report has been prepared.

He stated the Corps of Engineers has not completed the Environmental data

needed for SBG to complete the Task 4—Optimization Evaluation.

Bob Murray, Sulphur Basin Group (SBG), gave a Presentation on the

“Timberland and Agricultural Land Impact Assessment”.

ITEM# 9: UPDATES ON REGION D:

Patricia Wommack stated that the Region D Board filled all their vacancies but

Drew Roberts, who had resigned, still remains to be filled. So, the vacancy of

Drew Roberts will be on the next month’s “Agenda”.

She stated that the Region D Board voted for Jim Thompson to represent them at

the Texas Development Water Board Meeting on September 9th, 2015 in Austin,

Texas in regards to the conflict of Region C & D.

ITEM# 10: PUBLIC COMMENTS:

1. Gary Cheatwood…Red River County, stated that the Lake Marvin Nichols

would have a negative impact on the Red River County.

2. Steve Mayo, Liaisons for City of Texarkana, Texas … wants copies of all

SRBA’s information.

ITEM# 11: ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND/OR STAFF:

Nancy Rose stated the next regular meeting is set for October 20th, 2015.

Nancy Rose stated that she has already started working on the FY2015 Audit

with Wilf & Henderson.

She stated that the “Sunset Review” is still in progress.

ITEM# 12: ADJOURNMENT:

A motion was made by Brad Drake and seconded by Wally Kraft to Adjourn. The

motion carried with all members present voting AYE.